Friday, January 7, 2011

speakig of Philadelphia Museum...

I saw this up in Late October... Again, I apologize

The Theatrum Pictorium was much less interesting that I thought it would be. Even for a nerd like me it was underwhelming. This was a show devoted to the first illustrated book of a painting collection that had been translated into prints. Good to know that it exists, but honestly...



This Coryn Boel was the most interesting thing in it. It is a super copy, as Alessandro Varotari painted the original, and this print is a copy of David Teniers II's copy. The original painting is not extant.



Right after seeing the Theatrum, I ran into a pair of captivating William Morris wallpapers. They may be less high culture, but they're more interesting to me. On the left is Fruit (Pomegranate) designed in 1866 and the right is Vine designed 1973. Both were printed by Jeffrey and Co., London till 1827 than by Arthur Sanderson and Sons, LTD., London. I don't know what happened in 1827 that forced the transfer of the design between the co's.



And always, the PMA has a great collection of Mary Cassatt, including 1890's drypoint, Reflection. Dreamy. Did I mention that the MFA Boston has her color prints up in their new American wing? Well, they do. I'll grab a photo next time I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment